COPENHAGEN BLUES FESTIVAL
13th edition Sept. 25th - 29th 2013
From Sept. 25th to 29th the Blues once again sounds all over Copenhagen.
This is our 13th season, and we invite all blues fans to visit the city's many clubs and venues
for 5 days of world class international blues, and not least, some very good homegrown blues
Our musical ambition is to cover all blues style variations in the best possible way, and to
present The Blues in a fine balance between traditional and new expressions. So, as always,
you'll find the seasoned blues veterans performing alongside some very talented young artists,
who carry the torch into the future
"Danish Blues Musician of the Year", the festival's annual blues Award,
has since 2002 been a permanent event during the festival week.
This year we have an exciting addition: After several years' absence, the Danish Music Award
for "Best Blues Album of the Year" has been revived, and now becomes part of
of an even bigger Blues Award ceremony, taking place on Friday Sept. 27th, 8 PM at Huset.
This initiative was taken by the two major rhythmic music organizations ROSA and JazzDenmark,
who say: ”By reviving this award we hope to give Danish Blues a push forward,
not just in Denmark, but in the rest of the world as well.
It deserves that”.
This year's festival programme offers 60 concerts at 20 venues all over town.
The time schedule offers fine opportunities to attend two or three exiting acts per day.
Please find the full programme in the top left menu, click the concert names to see
articles and photos. Note: several venues have direct links to on-line ticket sale
Most of the international acts can be found downtown at the central venues
Mojo, Huset, and Amager Bio, and in the afternoon, at Roedovre Centrum:
- from Australia, the eminent roots duo Fingerprint - who were last here in 2004
- from L.A., the phenomenal singer and harmonica player Mitch Kashmar
- featuring his friend, West Coast guitar ace John Marx,
- from England and Northern Ireland, the two great, young talents, Simon McBride and
- Aynsley Lister in a heavy duty blues-rock double concert at Amager Bio
- from Chicago, not one, but two of the city's best blues acts:
- Linsey Alexander and Jimmy Burns
- from Ohio, super blues & jump guitarist Sean Carney at Mojo
- from Portland, Oregon, Franck "Paris Slim" Goldwasser, known from The Mannish Boys
- and to top the bill on Saturday at Huset, also from the American West Coast:
- Tommy Castro & the Painkillers
As usual, the city is crawling with Danish blues top acts in all styles, forms, shapes and
sizes, from small outfits like Knudsen & Boysen, Mike Andersen & Jens Kr.Dam, Troels
Jensen & Paul Banks, to combos and bigger bands like The Healers Delta Blues Band,
The Fried Okra Band (with Jimmy Burns), Nisse "Cph Slim" Thorbjoern (with Linsey Alexander)
Waitin' for Janis, Jake Green Band, The Blues Overdrive, Kenn Lending Blues Band, The Deepers, Thorbjoern Risager, and many, many more.
The festival’s collaboration with the city's biggest shopping center,
Roedovre Centrum, runs in it's 8th year with 8 short, afternoon blues
concerts at the big main stage, the 'Festpladsen'. Admittance is free !
- Thursday - Fingerprint and Mitch Kashmar & John Marx
- Friday - Jimmy Burns and Linsey Alexander
- Saturday - Steve James and Tommy Castro & The Painkillers
- Sunday - Miriam Mandipira with Delta Blues Band and Franck "Paris Slim" Goldwasser
Brunch & Blues - Saturday the community house Prismen offers a blues festival lunch.
This time Kjeld Lauritsen's smooth organ-jazz trio feat. Almaz Yebio delivers the musical spices.
Church Blues - on Sunday afternoon at 2 PM, Grundtvig's Church holds their traditional
Blues sermon with the theme: “The Highway Blues and the Heavenly Journey”.
After the Sermon there's a concert with Kenn Lending Blues Band.
Blues Cruise - a new event this year is a Blues Cruise with Canal Tours around the canals and inner harbor on Saturday & Sunday afternoon.
Saturday music by Torben Rønholt & Peter Klitgård, Sunday music by Tim Lohtar & Peter Nande.
Departure both days at 3 PM from Nyhavn 3 - duration about 1½ hours.
As always, the blues fest closes with the traditional acoustic Roots'n'Blues Jam at Mojo Sunday night.
Enjoy the festival !
The Festival board wishes to thank all,
who contributes in making this festival possible.
Thanks to our sponsors and partners,
to our many venues around town,
and to members, co-workers and volunteers.
and not least to all the great musicians !
Hear news about the festival on Radio Blues Time and on Radio Jazz in September